Where do I start

Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Torch Light...Rare Species.....

Hope y'all had a lovely weekend. My weekend was rather ..hhmmmmm..how do i describe this weekend....eventful, disturbing, dramatic ..ok y'all should pick one.

So I attended my first wedding in this state (not telling...lol)...let's just say if you were looking to compile a list of not-to-dos for a wedding, this wedding was ripe. I left there convinced that i will have to play an active role in my wedding (previous plans had me flying in on the day of my wedding, driving to church with my groomsmen and leaving with my bride...hahahah). I really don't feel like blogging about this wedding ..i am trying my best to forget it as soon as possible cause if by Thursday, i still feel the way i feel right now, i won't be attending my second wedding in this state this coming weekend. If i manage to attend the wedding this weekend, i guarantee y'all one thing... I ma going there with my own Microphone even if it's going to be battery operated. I mean the MC this weekend was horrific..glorified mess....He is the kind of dude one would recommend getting a license before attempting a joke....man i have never seen an audience with such a straight face for three hours straight... i mean it was frustrating...if this weekend's host is anything like him, i am starting a reality show right there!

Anyway moving away from weddings...i had an interesting phone call this weekend (Sunday to be exact). I heard from a friend I hadn't seen in 8 years (we live in different countries)...It was nice catching up on old times but the conversation left me worried, a few more strands of grey hair, lost voice, more wrinkles but i'll still take her call the next time she calls...Let me give you a brief Bio of the babe... she's about 27, pretty, funny, Born Again, educated. Lets call her Mgbo.
Do you have some friends you probably have lost contact with over the years but you could bet anything that by now they'd be married? yeah? Well Mgbo falls in that category... I remember the last time i saw her, she had a couple of guys on her case. She was bubbling for God back then... she always seemed assured that all will be well.

Well 8 years on Mgbo is still single...from her story she's been through quite a bit, experienced different types of men and has decided to move back to Nigeria, in the hope that she'll find a better man back there.

What is this latest craze? she isn't the first babe that i've spoken with of recent who've decided to move back home in order to find their "mr. right". I know a couple of girls who were actually in relationships here, told their boyfriends they were visiting nigeria for one reason or another, returned engaged, married or have decided not to return.

Mgbo is of the opinion that guys out here (especially in the UK and US) are just looking to play. She said guys aren't looking to settle down these days, they just want a play thing (the way she said it was hilarious)...I argued otherwise....

I agree there are a few guys out there who are only looking for playmates but i believe there are quite a number of good men out there, looking for a good woman to settle down with but you can’t go to a meeting in hell and expect to find an angel in attendance. The question i keep asking is..where are you searching? what is it that you are searching for? and who guides you through your search?

Talking to Mgbo, i expected her to tell me she had dated a number of born again brothers and they were all a mess...funny thing is that wasn't the case…she doesn’t find the guys in church particularly attractive…she agrees that some are intelligent, burning for God but they don’t have that “thing”. I immediately remembered what a friend once told me "girls are attracted to bad boys or bastards" (direct quote). So I asked her where she finds the guys she attracted to and her list left me laughing but on the other hand feeling bad about the situation... "Its funny how even people who consider themselves "saved" still fight with the word when it comes to picking a life partner. Her example of a place where she finds the type of guys she’s attracted to led to my decision to blog about this…She’s determined to marry a naija guy…most of the naija guys that she’s attracted to, she meets in the clubs. The problem is all the guys she’s met in these settings are either not saved and as a result she’s had to compromise one too many times or they aren’t into “saved”/ church girls.

I’ll like to know what you all think…do you really believe good men and women are hard to find or do you agree that it’s based on your standards and where you look and what you are looking for?

In other news....

My cooking journey has commenced in earnest and our next mission is the famous "Egusi soup" i'll attempt cooking it with no help whatsoever, fire department on speed dial and will drafted. Will post the result or leave a note for whoever finds me to post the result...lol

22 Comments:

  • At 4:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    wow Miguel... this should be interesting! How about you post your recipe when done, since i'm sure your concoction will be a masterpiece? bwaahahahhah... hahahah.. hahah..**cough**...**sputter** hahahhaha!!!!

    As per your friend... she ain't serious... looking for a man in a club. lol
    I can see how being here in the US where there seems to be a shortage of eligible marriage ready men, women would think that their partners are most likely in naija. But the truth is there are MANY single women in nigeria too... so what gives?!

     
  • At 9:30 PM , Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

    You know i'd definitely pester your life, to post a pix of your culinary masterpiece. BWAHAHAHA.
    Picture our very own dear Professor, sweating it out in the kitchen. Trying desperately to make Egusi soup, without setting the building on fire. It would actually be a funny sight to behold. Hope u're not using palmoil sha?

    Anyways, even though i wouldn't subscribe to a lady looking for her Mr. Right in a club, u've to understand where some of these ladies are coming from. Some church guys i.e. born again brothers at church, act overspiritual. No humor in their lives, they don't engage in any fun activities after church. Their entire life is all about church things. I think there should be a balance.

    IMHO, I think it's just as bad in Nigeria. The good thing however, is that u and ur family members, even friends have the opportunity to do proper research on the bobo's background.You know there's really nothing you can hide in Nigeria.

    Personally, i think good men are hard to find. In my zones, I can count the number of Nigerians. I go to church, i don't do the club scene, yet there's no man i see myself getting attracted to in all these places. Lord knows i'm hauling my behind out of here as soon as i'm done with school.

     
  • At 10:44 PM , Blogger Biodun said...

    My girl was just saying the same thing today about there not being good naija guys here in the states, that they r mostly useless. Is it hard 2 find a good man, can be, but with God nothin is impossible. I am not for finding a man in the club @ d same time ur husband might not be in your church ha. All that going to naija stuff is crap please. The truth though is that it is so easy to pick the wrong guy.

     
  • At 10:16 AM , Blogger The Life of a Stranger called me said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:00 PM , Blogger Teva said...

    Miggie!!! how far?? Did you put the sign out yet??..."About to cook! LOL
    I really think its true bijoux, most 'church brothers' dont have a balance in their lives and no good girl wants to die without that tint of excitement.
    Me, i believe that there are just as much good guys as there are good girls...the word says that "when others say there is a casting down, we shall say there's a lifting up!" Miggie, how far? i still want the bday!

     
  • At 5:03 PM , Blogger NaijaBloke said...

    Xoxo ..lol ...Good men r hard to find in ur zones.. abeg which zones r ur zones o..make we know...LOL

    Me personally know a couple of Naija gurls that ran back to naija to marry and they end up getting married to a guy that just want to use them to get over here.Running to naija to marry is like jumping from frypan to fire,cos the rate at which men move thru the gurls in naija at alrming speed is double alarming o.

    Let me ask a question o.Do u have to be going to church to be a good man or a good husband?

    Atimes I look at a lot of naijas in a lot of churches and I actually know God is a God of Mercy,cos most of the church goers u guys r refering to r worse than a non-church goer o,at least church broda will not have a sign on his head saying he is a player.

     
  • At 8:59 PM , Blogger DiAmOnD hawk said...

    hmmmm re: Torch Light...remembered an incident in college freshman year. My neighbor borrowed by torch light...so I was asking for it back one day. i kept asking for TORCH light...she was looking at me like i was crazy...thinking the torch lights used during picnics (or during survivor)and somewhere in my mind i knew something was wrong....soooo..i had to take a break and come back...then i remembered...FLASH light...I had just spent a year in nigeria so I guess the influenced residual effects of being there that long were still in play

     
  • At 8:49 AM , Blogger The Life of a Stranger called me said...

    @ diamond that was quite funny. If Im not mistaken we still call it torch light in Northern England.

     
  • At 11:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Prof Miggs,just make sure you post a pictur eof your ''EGUSI'' special.
    In regards to your friend, i do not support looking for a man in a club.Maybe becos i dont club, i like to spend my friday nite inmy bed with any book. ''Good men'' are now scarce commodity anywhere in the World.She may be lucky to meet Mr Right in Naija.

    @Naijabloke: going to church doesnt make one a good man/woman. My EX doesnt joke with church and evening service. Sometimes,he drags me to church and we even fight if i tell him i am too tired. God help y'all men!!

     
  • At 6:50 PM , Blogger NaijaBloke said...

    Temmy just cos ur Ex does not joke with church and cheated on u does not make him not to be a good man.

    Remember the prayer we normally pray... "God lead us not into temptation" Anybody can fall into temptation,nobody is perfect.

    Why is it that when a guy slips and make a mistake,women wont allow us rest and they refuse to acknowledge that they do the same thing but it is not publicised like the man's cos of the BF or the husband's male ego,cos we have a lot of women cheating on their BFs and husbands big time.Hmm ..I think i need to write a post abt that.

     
  • At 8:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Dang Naijabloke... i have a feeling you have a story to tell. Do share!

     
  • At 9:32 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    How did the cooking adventure turn out? Hopefully the 911 call wasn't needed

     
  • At 11:30 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Well, I anticipate your culnery end product.

    On the issue of nigerian men, I find that good ones are hard to find, they always tend to be related to you, for e.g my brothers will make excellent husband but I can't marry them.

    Now on the issue of clubs I had to bring this discussion before my bible study group. There is this wonderful nigerian man (Igbo) to be exact, He claims he loves the Lord, (I use the word 'love' losely as I don't really know his heart and don't live in the same state with him), and has been a christian sice youth. He clubs alot (most weekend) and loves to have a drink. He is also divorced, and has a child with another woman (you see he is quite successful - so women want to trap him), and even though he recognises that he is messed up he still carries on. Now apart from all this he is a good man, he has a good heart. he goes to church. Now i don't want to sound all judgemental, but he is a typical example of some of the nigerian born again that I seem to know.

    Maybe if he was i nigeria some one would tell him "na lie" you no fit be born again, but he really is ok.

    I know I have digressed from the point but I had hope you would be able to shed more light on the issue. So even some of this good men have some serious baggage.

    Sorry guys I had to go undercover, dude reads my blogs. Its still >>>>SM

     
  • At 11:36 AM , Blogger Teva said...

    @Anonmymous....seems like you hit the nail on the head.

     
  • At 7:35 PM , Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

    Professor Miggie, hope all's well. We've not seen u around, at least u've not responded to any of the comments. How did the cooking expedition go? Let's see a pix of ur egusi special.

    As for u NB, if i tell u my zones, then i'd be blowing my cover, geddit? I'm in the Northeastern State that begins with a P. I'm the only one that bears my special name in this city.

     
  • At 10:24 AM , Blogger Miguel said...

    @TLOASCM ...sorry its taken me so long to answer your question...haven't been feeling well to say the least.

    Theres the need to make certain distinctions...theres a Good man and theres a Godly man...two different things yet in certain ways they compliment each other.

    A good man doesnt mean a man void of weakness or flaws. A good man is a man whose actions and thoughts towards others are always with best intentions. A good man for you, could be a man who caters to all your needs and makes life easy to live for you (based on what he has control or influence over). In this context, there are many unsaved guys out there who fit into this group...they worship the floor on which their ladies walk on and what is paramount to them is thier happiness. Understand that with this measurement, such a man could be spiritually unyielding...The samaritan was a good man but the bible doesnt tell us if he was a saved man...
    A Godly man on the other hand is one who takes into practice the precepts of God...he displays the fruits of the Spirit and is passionate about God and the things of God. He understands what the bible means by loving his wife as Christ loved the church (so the day/night armed robbers show up and ask your life or your wife? without hesitation, he'll give his life... a good man that is not saved might not be as willing).
    People argue that guys in church are not fun...what kind o fun is fun? be mindful of the portrayals of the world...we are in this world but not of this world. An educated church man would equally be as stimulating if not more, than some guys you'd meet at clubs. He might not be willing to crack the sexual undertoned jokes with you, kiss you or squeeze you but at all times he's got your back.... when you call him with a problem, he might not automatically think of the situation in a logical way but would pray with you and for you... these guys complete are hard to find...but trust me there are many work-in-progress...the question is are you willing to work with them to become the man God intends for them to be? Be ye an addition and not a subtraction or distraction.

     
  • At 11:33 AM , Blogger The Life of a Stranger called me said...

    @ miguel - Thank you for shedding some light - so even though he is a good man he is not (in my opinion) a godly man - I'll try my best to be an addition and not a distraction - And will try and help him in his walk - But he needs to be willingly right - Its not by force.!!

     
  • At 12:38 PM , Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

    Miguel, for real u're talented. As in this ur reply to LOASCM got me nodding all the way. You said it all. I think u should post this as a blog entry, it shouldn't be relegated to the comments section 'cos it's bound to be a blessing to someone. Lemme even give u a title for it, "A Good vs. A Godly Man."

    I pray that a Godly and Good man comes my way at the appropriate time. I agree with you, especially on this point, "An educated church man would equally be as stimulating if not more, than some guys you'd meet at clubs. He might not be willing to crack the sexual undertoned jokes with you, kiss you or squeeze you but at all times he's got your back.... when you call him with a problem, he might not automatically think of the situation in a logical way (which happens to almost everyone, but how u how u deal with it is what matters) but would pray with you and for you... these guys complete are hard to find; trust me there are many work-in-progress." Like you, i know u don't have to answer that.

    However, i still insist on the point i made in my earlier comment that Some church guys i.e. born again brothers at church, act overspiritual. No humor in their lives, they don't engage in any fun activities after church. Their entire life is all about church things. I think there should be a balance. Your date with ur girlfriend, shouldn't always be attending bible study, prayer meetings, night vigils. You can both engage in other things u guys have in common, as long as it doesn't bring dishonor to God. Have stimulating and intelligent conversations. I agree with u, that there are some out there, a work-in-progress, but where are they? I think they're just about 0.0000001%

     
  • At 1:37 PM , Blogger The Life of a Stranger called me said...

    @bijouxoxo - trust you you add your 0.0000001%. But I hve to aggree with you. They are preety hard to find.

     
  • At 5:07 PM , Blogger Miguel said...

    @bijou...i'll post something on it after my next post..or i could be a guest on your blog...send it to you and you post it...

     
  • At 6:19 PM , Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

    By all means Miguel. I'd love to do that. Why don't you e-mail it to me, so i can put it up on my blog.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home