Where do I start

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

It's hard out there for a pimp!


So I sat down during the long holiday weekend, reminiscing on my past, my present and what I desire for the future. I must say at times when you go searching, it's not always pleasant the things you find but like I say time and time again, I am an overcomer, I am redeemed!

So this weekend I reminisced on past relationships...You may be wondering what brought about this...Well let's just say food can be good and bad.

So it started off with me determining within myself that I must cut down on eating out (I eat out everyday, at least 3 meals a day) especially Nigerian restaurants(my sister went through my accounts one time and she actually thought I was being scammed by some company, cos they kept taking money out of my account everyday ...Poor girl didn't know it was a Nigerian restaurant where I lay my hat). So over the weekend, I decided to stop by a store where they sell Nigerian produce and "furnish"my place with these items (yup..You read it right... Previously I'll go into the stores and buy food items but never use them... I mean if you need to see what expired okra looks like, holla at me). I mean I walked out of that store determined to change and return to my previous ways (I used to love to cook...Before my work took over my life and school came calling)...So with this determination, I strolled into the kitchen and produced what I felt was a masterpiece. Before I proceed, let me say that I haven't had a reason to cook in over 4 years...I have been blessed to have people offer to cook for me, or patronize a great cook, located in one of the many naija spots I visit.
So four years ago, I could and strongly believe I still can cook almost all the famous naija delicacies but there were two dishes I just couldn't cook well (fried rice and stew). I mean the fried rice case wasn't that bad but my stew was ...hmmmm.... Well I'll be kind and say my stew was water with meat floating on it...Try it with rice and you'd think my aim was to flood the rice. So I purposed within my heart this weekend to make the bammest stew...Though I was rusty, like riding a bicycle, I believe once you have a skill, regardless of how many years have gone by, you still have it! ... So after laying down the stew, it came out thick and tasty...mennnn I was so excited (check out the pic above)...(as you can see the stew settles on top of the rice ..No shaking!!) ..Forget the scary looking plantains...They were rioting while I was deep frying them.

Anyway look at me dancing all around my crib, pleased at the success of my stew...That's how a friend dropped by to say hello and I told her of my success. The babe was eager to taste the stew, walked into the kitchen and came back out... I noticed an awkward silence and the plain expression on her face and I thought to myself... My goodness.. I must have floored this babe... Only for the babe to yarn "Damn! That is tomato"(you see why at times when you visit people they hide their food...It takes them forever to open their doors and when you walk in, you are welcomed by the scent of air-freshener)... Whatttttttttttttttttttttt! If I was a white boy now that statement would scar me for life ...Imagine me as a white boy caught slapping a cook around...convo in court will go thus
Lawyer: Do you know why you were arrested?
Miguel White: yes, for slapping the cook
Lawyer: Why did you slap the cook? Where you abused as a child?
Miguel White: yeah this one time, after cooking I was told my effort was crap and as such when I saw the cook, it reminded me of the lady that told me my stew was crap and so thinking it was her in another body, I reached out for the cook... I couldn't afford another abuse
Lawyer to Judge : Your honor, this is a clear case of abuse...Dude reacted based on an experience he had ...I feel he should be acquitted and probably have a therapist evaluate his condition.
Judge: I see your point and I concur...Case dismissed!

The painful thing is I have never tasted this babe's cooking and who knows..Maybe my stew would even taste better than hers (hmmm do I hear cooking competition?...hmmm)... Anyway after complaining and all the babe continued to eat the stew ooo...She was asking me for chicken left, right and center... I'll update you guys if I ever taste her cooking.

Anyway that got me thinking of all the babes I have been with who would spoil me with their cooking and also the horrible experiences I've had. One thing is clear... I am going to resume cooking... I think I might even enroll in one of the Nigerian Restaurants around...Probably intern there for two weeks, learning how to throw down!!! ...Then I'll move on to a cook school for a few weeks to learn how to make all these dem oyinbo food..."braised turkey on the run", "Chicken chay chay" "chicken peri peri" "lamb amoeba" ( U know like I do ..oyinbo food no dey get small name...na some heavy names dem get).

So in a nutshell, one thing I accomplished this weekend was the "resolution"I made... Cut down on eating out...Cook cook cook till you drop..Heading to an Indian restaurant tomorrow... ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ...

How was your weekend?

11 Comments:

  • At 7:17 PM , Blogger DiAmOnD hawk said...

    gosh..ur stew...meat floating in water abi...
    my friend Patrick kept bothering me about teaching him to cook. HE used tomato paste to cook once...as in ONLY tomato paste...and then he added alot of dry pepper..I was like Babe, come on over...PLEASE dont cook that again...and he thot he'd done something great.

    Cooking for me is...I think yes you can be taught but alot comes from within. Put me in your kitchen with whatever and I'll make do...there's something innate that just kinda guides u that no matter what you cook, you'll have ppl licking their fingers...mouths drooling from the aroma...several requests for more...

    Men...did you save some plantain for me...that is by far one of my favorite things to eat...used to eat it EVERYDAY when I was growing up in Nigeria. Fried in palm oil...until my mom caught on and started making me boil it sometimes...those were the days I wouldnt eat...

     
  • At 10:09 PM , Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

    Chei! Professor Spicy this ur article got me laughing. I had to look again to see if i was on the correct page. Apart from the dodo running riot, everything else looks palatable from the pix, but maybe dis foto dey lie, i no fit tell. Anyways, i believe interning for about a month at a nearby mama put would do the magic.

     
  • At 8:50 AM , Blogger Teva said...

    Miggie...We the association of concerned friends hereby request that you go and marry....HABA??? That is the only solution!!! Which kin tomato potpourri you make wey you dey call stew?? Omo I laugh so tey, d guy sitting opposite me in the office moved his laptop further down..LOL.

    Nice post man!

     
  • At 10:09 AM , Blogger Miguel said...

    @diamond hawk...girl i don't play with plantain ooo ..I eat almost everything with plantain...but i need to cut back on it though... i walked into my naija spot to pick up some plantain i had ordered and this mysterious naija lady walks in...as they are packing my plantain for me, the woman goes (in some thick naija accent)"AHHHH you don't know that soft plantain is not good for a man ..it will make his thing soft" i was like what the helllllll...

    @Bijouxoxo ...trust me i plan on taking this internship thing serious.. i just need to find a naija restaurant that has a clean kitchen and off i'll go.

    @Teva...it's hard out there ooo ... marriage is not like before ooo ...nowadays man fit marry na him go dey cook for the family... and being the traditional guy that I am scares these modern day ladies away...

     
  • At 11:47 AM , Blogger The Life of a Stranger called me said...

    From where I'm standing it looks palatable, but I shan't be one to make terrible statement concerning your cooking, points must be awarded for effort. 4 years is a long time.
    Miguel, Im sure many modern ladies would love to cook for their husbands and would do so in a heart beat, the issue is because our husbands see us tired after a long day at work, they just go into the kitchen and cook for us, you see they love us that way. Im sure you are that way inclined, we may be modern but we still know how to please our husbands.

    But good effort, keep it up.

     
  • At 12:25 PM , Blogger DiAmOnD hawk said...

    that one is a new one on me o Miguel...then again I dont have the "thing" so....

    please cut back...just in case...LOL

     
  • At 6:28 PM , Blogger NaijaBloke said...

    Hahahaha ..Miguel u dan killi me.. Tomato pureee ...reminded me of a friend here o.The day i tasted is stew,thank God he had grounded red pepper in his house o cos i almost poured everything in the stew.

    I feel u jere Miguel,u can imagine going to a Naija restaurant and buying stew and atimes soup alone with loads of meat.Thatz me life for u.

    Nice title too and which ones with the soft platain issue,thank God I don't eat platain at all unless it is platain chips that is dry as hell.

     
  • At 10:58 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    After only 9 months here, anything looks good to me. I can't believe my mouth's watering at the sight of this -- who knows, if I was back home, I'd be loath to eat from even a buka [yeah, my mom's the best but everyne says so ;].

    I've got some pictures of my cooking in the Gourmetry section of my gallery.

    They don't look as good as yours, but I used vegetable oil to cook and there's no African shop here.

     
  • At 11:47 AM , Blogger Mari said...

    I'm trying so hard not to laugh but its killing me inside. Poor you. Well its a good thing you've realised you need to stop eating outside everyday. Must have been costing you a fortune.

    My first yr in uni, all my meals were from the nearby resturants close to my apartment. A friend of mine came to visit from out town and saw the stack of take out boxes I had in my kitchen. He made me realise why I was always broke and showed me the nearest market to buy food stuff.
    Its hard when you have so much going on but the moment u compare your bank account now to then, you'll never go back.

    Goodluck with the cooking...practise makes perfect.

     
  • At 7:36 PM , Blogger ABBEY said...

    lol...yup mr.miguel eating out even once a day is enough to create problems in the bank. Just keep practicing, gradually other people will be able to eat your food too, lol

     
  • At 10:46 AM , Blogger The Life of a Stranger called me said...

    when will we be updating your blog??

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home