Where do I start

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Hey Dad!

“Miguel you have some issues to resolve… you have to start off by forgiving yourself and then your dad”… As these words keep playing in my head and I try to fight the truth, I came into this new day realizing I can’t fight it no more.

I didn’t really know you… I remember seeing you probably 6 times in my life before you were assassinated… I remember our last meeting ended in a fight… you never had the chance to forgive me; I never had the chance to tell you the way I felt… now you are gone… its been over ten years and yet its sad but I truly can’t say I have forgiven you nor forgiven myself for saying, doing and thinking the things I did.

I read the news from time to time and I hear of others being assassinated and immediately I remember you. It’s funny how people say great things about you, I hear my siblings and cousins tell stories about you and I can’t relate. It’s painful the number of times I introduce myself to people and they ask are you mr._______’s son?

It’s sad how I have allowed this event steal joyous moments of my life that most people cherish… I refused to walk on both graduation days because I felt it would’ve been too emotional for me. I will get married some day and wow! To think you wouldn’t be there to give me those fatherly words or even praise my choice of a wife. To think I’ll have kids and not be able to share with them stories of you or any sort of tradition passed on.

I love you though I never knew you. I miss you, though I never had you…how crazy is that?
Today I read about those that assassinated you walking around the face of the earth with their heads held up and because of my faith, I can only pray for them… Can you imagine the pain I feel? I remember the night it happened, I was walking into a hall with a friend… I felt something strange …I stopped abruptly and for some strange reason, I knew something terrible had happened. My friend tried to reassure me that I was wrong but we wouldn’t have to wait too long...lo’ and behold, morning came and the news broke.

Today, I make a change… I don’t believe dead people read but I believe if I confess it with my mouth, then I am free…

Dad I miss you
I miss the team we could have been together
I miss the things we could have done together
I miss the tips you would have given me on women
I miss the advice you would have given me about this cruel world
I miss the fact that I never got a chance to know you as a father or friend
I am sad I missed the stories I hear that crack me up
I hear you were funny but yet strict
I hear you were adventurous
Women tell me you were charming
My mothers tell me you were caring
I hear you were a giver
Men tell me what a good family I come from
Because you never took the home you were born into for granted
Forgive me because despite the great stories and reasons why you were never around
I refused to look at you in any other way but as my enemy
Forgive me for the things I did and said the last time we saw
I was just a kid back then
Like mummy said I was just as stubborn as you
Today I am full of praise that I had a father like you
I hold my head up high as I climb the status ladder of this world
Rather than aiming to be great to prove a point to you
I am going to be great to prove a point to the world
Though they thought we were done
The best is yet to come
On the final day, when this world comes under judgment
I look forward to seeing you… our hug is long over due

Adieu Daddy.

19 Comments:

  • At 1:18 PM , Blogger Corri S. said...

    Wow...eloquently written and very personal. It takes a big person to face their "issues" and especially to share them with others.

    I have a few bones to pick with my own dad. In fact, I last saw him in 2004 at my graduation! This post made me realize that life is too short. But, I'm not sure if I'm ready to take that step towards reconcilaiton though. Hmmm...maybe one day.

     
  • At 1:32 PM , Blogger The Life of a Stranger called me said...

    I had to take a moments silence before trying to comment.

    You might have written it as a self help, but for one I’m glad you have. I might have been upset (far too upset) with my father for what he did or did not do [especially what he did], but your statement of “confess it with my mouth”, I will continue to confess with my mouth how much I love and miss him, cause its all about being free. I know I do, and there is no more need to pretend. At least you are reassured you will see him again. Though mine is alive, I pray that I will see him again, both here and after. Tears are flowing now. I guess they are tears of Joy.

     
  • At 1:36 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Wow...Miguel..that was so poignant. Very beautiful. I know your father would be so proud of the man you have become..

     
  • At 5:57 PM , Blogger NaijaBloke said...

    Miguel that was deep man.. I feel u on this issue cos it seems we r in the same boat man.Lost mine in the same way 18yrs ago but we were best of friends then.

    Like ppl say everything happen for a reason and God knows best.

     
  • At 8:21 PM , Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

    That was so touching. Real deep stuvvs. Even though u didn't have a very cordial relationship with ur dad, (from what i gather, abeg correct me if i'm wrong 'cos as i dey here, hunger dey wire me, and i hope say d hunger no rewire my senses yet), i believe u've found and have a relationship with the greatest father of all. Of course u know this relationship surpasses any other human one.

    Yet, i know how it feels not to have someone u can call dad, someone u can share what's going on in ur life, someone who'll teach u how to be a man, someone u can yarn with about girls and will let u in on how too woo 'em girls, even how he wooed ur mumsy. I know how difficult it is not to have stories to share with ur kids about their grandfather, but u can teach them about the greatest father of all.

    I don't know u, but from the little i've learnt from reading ur blog entries, i can say u've done very well for urself and that ur popsy would be proud of the man u've grown to be. I'm not flattering u or anything, i don't kuku know u, but i must tell the truth.

    Confession like u did, is good for the soul, and it's the first step towards healing. It's not an easy thing to face issues like this, weithout casting blame on others. Bravo Miguel

     
  • At 3:22 AM , Blogger Teva said...

    Miguel...I am truly speechless! You have described with words the hurt, confusion, love and pain most people feel for having or not having a father.
    I always wondered how our mothers always knew we'd someday come around. My mom never failed to say how I was just as stubborn as my dad and how (if i looked closely) i would see that my father loves me in his own way.
    Thank you so much miguel...I cant describe how i feel right now, but Thanks!

     
  • At 7:40 AM , Blogger Miguel said...

    @Mosaic Thanks for your comment. I am glad you mentioned the fact that life is too short. I remember while growing up watching a movie called "Never too young to die"... as a child of God, your reconciling with your father doesn't necessarily mean you are accepting blame but rather that you are fulfilling God's word. Think of it that way and take that step...

    @TLOASCM... I walked around for years thinking it was okay to keep the hurt inside me.."what the hell I am a man..i can't be seen as being soft" ..i recently spoke with a pastor who had no idea of my past but during the cause of our conversation, without me bringing in my situation with my dad, she asked how my relationship with my father was..trust me as i started talking, it became clear to me that all this while i have been going against the wrong person. Your father is still alive so you still have a chance..pick up the phone or send a letter but do something... i love it when christians say "tomorrow might be too late" because it clearly puts things into perspective.

    @Belle thanks girl...I think that's what hurts the most.. the fact that you're doing well and he is not around to smile.

    @Naijabloke...as a guy i am glad you can relate. I agree with you everything happens for a reason.. i wonder at times if he were still alive if i would have taken life seriously or strived for success.

    @Bijou...yeah it's clear to me that every step i have taken have been guided by my heavenly father and so through testimonies, my children will get to learn and experience His greatness.

    @Teva...Your mother is sooo right. Its funny the assumptions we make in life and how when tied to reality, most times we find a huge discrepancy. It's well.

     
  • At 11:28 AM , Blogger zaiprincesa said...

    Do not burden ur heart by "shoulda, coulda, woulda'in".Always believe he is in a better place, looking down on you with pride. May his soul contiue to rest in peace..Amen!

     
  • At 1:13 PM , Blogger TEMITAYO OMOLOLA said...

    You're trully lucky to have had a father like that. This stuff was trully touching. I wish my father was a hundredth of all that you wrote about yours well i gueess if wishes were horses .... lovely post im sure your dad would have been real proud of the man you've become.

     
  • At 2:50 PM , Blogger Miguel said...

    @Zaiprincesa..thanks for your comment.. i am not weighed down by the shoulda, coulda, woulda but at times in life, in order to take the next step whether in love, your profession or your ministry, you have to set straight certain feelings.

    @Adunni... Its been a long road here... pray and keep faith..God still works overtime...thanks for your comment..by the way i enjoy your blog.

     
  • At 5:35 PM , Blogger NaijaBloke said...

    Yes o Miguel,atimes I wonder as well if I would have achieved a lot if my dad was alive cos he definately would have pushed me to be a step ahead of where I am now and at the same time I try and look at it on the other side that how would I feel if he is alive and wishing he was dead cos of an illness or maybe he cant even move and we have to start carrying him around.

    With that I always console myself that God knows best and that actually pushes me atimes thinking I have to achieve a lil' bit more than what he achieved.

     
  • At 4:34 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    What can i say? Just continue to make him proud. I believe you will achieve all that he wanted you to achieve in life.
    BTW,i have been asking questions about you. You were Tunde's roomy in ATL.I have heard stories.....uhmn

     
  • At 12:33 PM , Blogger Miguel said...

    @NaijaBloke...i think in all, the beautiful things is how you can sit back and admire how God works.

    @Temmy...You've been asking questions about me? wow! i'm glad you got your answers...Yeah its amazing how many stories are out there...enjoy them all.

     
  • At 9:37 AM , Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

    Professor Spicy and Temmy were S-I-T-T-I-N-G on a wall, -------. Anyways, i'm not saying anything o, before u say dis Bijouxoxo sef. I rest ma case.

     
  • At 7:47 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    No bad story about you. Tunde said and i quote ''a very focused young man that doesnt joke with his religion and God''. Dont you think you are the man i am searching for? Lol.

     
  • At 9:58 AM , Blogger Teva said...

    Temmy is it the same Miguel or there's another one stashed up an attic somewhere???LOL...Just kiddin man! Turns out that the new improved miguel is here to stay! So maybe Naijabloke is right...
    Temmy and Miggie sitting on a tree,
    P-R-A-Y-I-N-G

    LOL

     
  • At 11:17 AM , Blogger Dris J said...

    Comon Son, dnt beat yerself up or anythang of dat nature. The good book says to have a good relationship with our parents. However, it says we should give preference to our mothers. (It actually ranks mothers in position 1st, 2nd, 3rd, before fathers on 4th) Pray for your dad and keep it real tight with your Mum. The most important blessings are under the mothers' feet

    Miguel; discharged and acquitted!

     
  • At 10:14 PM , Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

    Haha Madam Teva. You need togive honor to whom it's due. No be me, Bijouxoxo talk am, which kain Naijabloke. Yeye NB too is happy, no yarn anything. He's taking credit for what he didn't say. Abeg Teva, give me my due honor as the insightful and always on-point instigator a.k.a. Tatafo before i vex, even Professor Spicy no go fit quell my anger.

     
  • At 8:33 AM , Blogger Teva said...

    Yes o, madam Bijox! Na you biko!!!
    Me sef wan chop reception rice o, so madam instigator...do your work, well well!!! LOL

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home