Where do I start

Monday, January 01, 2007

1st fight, the friend, my house guest & a get together

Happy New Yearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.... Ok I wont be Nigerian if I don't accompany that with prayers..So here goes

I pray this year brings you great successes,
as your will and that of God for you become entwined
I pray like Solomon, God will grant you wisdom and like Jabez
He will expand your coast... He will make your feet like the hinds feet
You will find peace amongst men
Even your enemies will be at peace with you
May God shower you with his love
May He guide your path this year,
May His presence be your shekinah place
May he reveal to you the mysteries of your life
For the single ladies may God grant you a Boaz and take away all Bozos
For the single guys may God grant you a Ruth and take away all Jezebels
For the Married just as you've found favor through your union, May God's everlasting favor rest upon your household and your marriage.
The blessings of the Lord are yours
May 2007 mark the start of greater things and manifestations in your lives
where the sky is the limit for others, May that be where your greatness starts.
I pray in Jesus Name. Amen

Main Gist

As the title suggests, I was going to blog about my first fight with my newly found love (xbox 360), a gay friend turned straight, my dramatic house guest and an interesting get together but I came across a couple of articles that got my heart pumping as such I have decided to dedicate todays blog to everyone... Reading through this article you'll notice a mix of qualities... Uprightness, patriotism, sincerity and selflessness.


So I picked up my New York Times today and was touched by an article I read. The article titled from father to son, last words to live by drew the strings of my heart. From this article I could infer the quality of the man in question... The man in question is a military man on duty in Iraq, who took time off to write a 200 paged journal for his newly born son just in case he died in Iraq. A few weeks after seeing his newly born child, he was killed by a bomb. I have decided to merge the excerpts of his writing in this post...One to share with you all but also to remind myself that you truly can't say you've lived a life if you've been selfish with it.

Excerpts from Father to son, Last words to live by

Dear son, Charles wrote on the last page of the journal, I hope this book is somewhat helpful to you. Please forgive me for the poor handwriting and grammar. I tried to finish this book before I was deployed to Iraq. It has to be something special to you. I've been writing it in the states, Kuwait and Iraq.

Never be ashamed to cry. No man is too good to get on his knee and humble himself to God. Follow your heart and look for the strength of a woman.
Charles tried to anticipate questions in the years to come. Favorite team? I am a diehard Cleveland Browns fan. Favorite meal? Chicken, fried or baked, candied yams, collard greens and cornbread. Childhood chores? Shoveling snow and cutting grass. First kiss? Eighth grade


In neat block letters, he wrote about faith and failure, heartache and hope. He offered tips on how to behave on a date and where to hide money on vacation. Rainy days have their pleasures, he noted: Every now and then you get lucky and catch a rainbow.

Remember who taught you to speak, to walk and to be a gentleman, he wrote to Jordan in his journal. These are your first teachers, my little prince. Protect them, embrace them and always treat them like a queen.

It's not fair to judge someone by the color of their skin, where they're raised or their religious beliefs, he wrote. Appreciate people for who they are and learn from their differences.

The 18th was a long, solemn night, he wrote in Jordan's journal. We had a memorial for two soldiers who were killed by an improvised explosive device. None of my soldiers went to the memorial. Their excuse was that they didn't want to go because it was depressing. I told them it was selfish of them not to pay their respects to two men who were selfless in giving their lives for their country.
Things may not always be easy or pleasant for you, that's life, but always pay your respects for the way people lived and what they stood for. It's the honorable thing to do.


God blessed me above all I could imagine, Charles wrote in the journal. I have no regrets, serving your country is great.

(read full article here :http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/01/us/01charles.html?em&ex=1167886800&en=4517e2b5b5f7ca95&ei=5087%0A)

Parting words of a man who must have felt the breath of death but realized the responsibilities he owed to his nation and more importantly the future of a son who would one day grow to be a man.

This story caught me on various levels... I realize that our situations in life and ambitions may differ but I truly think as the future generation, we have a lot to offer and the time couldn't be better than now. As we prepare for the forthcoming Nigerian elections, lets continually ask ourselves what it is we are doing and what part it is we've played in making that country better. I hear a lot of complains but no solutions... Let's also ask oursleves about the state of our young men...what is becoming of them?... a prayer now and again won't hurt but even the bible says "faith without works is dead!! ...So what can you do and how can you contribute? Let this year be about giving more than receiving but let that giving be meaningful and impactful.

I leave you all with another interesting but lighter story I read. Apparently last year some airport workers and crew members of United Airlines (O'hare airport) spotted a mysterious saucer-shaped craft hovering over O'hare airport.... Anyway, one O'Hare controller was amused by it all and said
"To fly 7 million light years to O'Hare and then have to turn around and go home because your gate was occupied is simply unacceptable".

Do you believe in UFOs?


16 Comments:

  • At 7:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Thank you for the prayer.

    I pray that in 2007, God will perfect all that concerns you.


    A quote by Barbara Hall - A Summons to New Orleans, 2000
    "You're alive. Do something..... It [Life] could be expressed in single words, not complete sentences. It sounded like this: Look. Listen. Choose. Act."

    As we start 2007 let us all make the decision to Look, Listen and Act.

     
  • At 5:12 AM , Blogger Nilla said...

    I love your prayer!

    Regarding the father to son article, all i can say is it's really touching.

    I agree with you on playing our roles regarding Nigeria..Like you said, so many people are complaining a lot.
    But also, so many people are writing about this (even in blogsburg)...but somehow a solution/solutions keep eluding us. Some even have solutions, but implementing it is a problem.
    As @ the end of last year I decided I'd blog more on Nigeria, and thats what I intend to do.

    UFO's ko UFO's ni ....lol

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!

     
  • At 6:42 PM , Blogger DiAmOnD hawk said...

    what an honorable man...reading this got me crying...I hope his son treasures the words his father left...

    on UFOs....i dont believe in it..but then again...a flying object that cant be identified...i guess it's possible...our intelligence hasnt matured to the stage of knowing what these things are yet....whatever...for sanity sake...i dont believe!!!

     
  • At 3:43 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    That's a really touching story. Talk about a man who knows the meaning of life.

     
  • At 2:39 PM , Blogger Mari said...

    wow I havent read the article yet but am already tearing from the extract bits. So sad. I hope his son grows up to appriciate life just like his father would want.

    Happy New Year, Miguel.Thanks and amen to the prayer. May it be so with you.

     
  • At 7:16 PM , Blogger The Life of a Stranger called me said...

    I am speachless. To know and understand your duty both in serving your nation and as a father to you children. If only many men understood their responsibilities. I have been bleesed by this post.

     
  • At 11:27 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    happy new year miguel!!

     
  • At 12:29 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Update!!!!

     
  • At 12:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Update!!!!

     
  • At 12:37 PM , Blogger Biodun said...

    Hmm, I thought I posted a comment here last week, wot happened 2 my comment Miguel,
    OK, pls update ur blog though!

     
  • At 8:53 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I have returned!!!!!!!! Miggy honey, you'll never ever guess who I ran into in Naija...small world. Have lots to catch up on. As for an accountability partner.....ummmm, can you be mine for my GMAT, please? Taking it on Feb 12! LOL. Talk to you soon.

     
  • At 6:14 PM , Blogger Beautifully Human said...

    update already, man!!!

     
  • At 1:05 AM , Blogger Cherub (former Bijouxoxo) said...

    Miggie baba, are u okay? I'm trusting that all's well with you. Please update ur blog. U've been scarce in the blogosphere.

     
  • At 3:01 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    happy new yr spicymiguel!!! guess who's pic i just saw??? YOURS!!! Not to worry, i don't live in the US so no biggie...haHAHAAA.LOL. all the best at school though.

     
  • At 3:11 PM , Blogger Miguel said...

    @Jam ... Thanks for the prayer! I know through you God will do great things... I see it and i rejoice cause I know.
    @Nilla - you dont believe in UFO's? ahhhhh lol
    @Diamond.."for sanity sake you dont believe"...lol...
    @Azuka....yeah thats selflessness
    @Mariiiiiiiii --- Happy New year to you tooo
    @TLOASCM- come ooo we are not talking until you tell me what you brought me from Iya Charli's city
    @Mphahlele - Happy New Year girl.... by the way I hope you aren't returning to your old ways...no disappearing acts this year!
    @Mosaic - if i catch you!
    @Biodun - I didnt see ya post ooo ... by the way what or who gave you the right to throw a party without sending moi an invite?
    @ms.May - hey dearest... dont worry the bird already got to me before you did.... lol...Bring on the GMAT...lets go ...its boot camp time!
    @beatifully human - Yes Ma'm!
    @Cherub - Youuuuuuuuuuu....I jus dey use left eye look you ...by the time I balance my eyes on you ... u go sabi!
    @Anonymous- Shockerrrrrrrrrrrrr! it wasn't me! lol.... shaggy!

     
  • At 11:53 PM , Blogger zioner said...

    err, not so sure where i stand on the UFO issue, its like i believe the stories sometimes, other times i don't. Great post.
    LOL, wow,i think/know(hehehe) i've seen you too Miguel and yeah *ding*, its really you...LOL. Shockerrr!! we might be RELATED...LOL, why r u laughing? i'm serious jo, we might be oh. anywho one blogger down, a few more to go hehehehe, pls don't blame me, i'm just curious like that. have a blessed week.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home