Where do I start

Tuesday, April 01, 2008

I Knew!

I knew something had happened when my phone rang so early in the morning. I knew! I knew it couldn't be good when after ignoring the initial call, it rang again and again. I knew! As I reached for the phone, I hoped it was a caller who had mistakenly dialed my number. But I knew!

I knew because the last time we spoke, I sensed you were hiding something from me. As you demanded we express the way we feel regardless of the hurt one might feel knowing how the other party feels, at the back of my mind, I knew. I knew this demand wasn't ordinary as this was something we had discussed time without number but this time I sensed an urgency in your voice. I knew when you said good-bye rather than talk to you later like you normally say, I knew! Something within me told me it would be the last time I'd hear from you. Something within me told me I'd probably never see you again but would probably hear of you. You were my best kept secret. How I wish that rather than trying to sow doubts in the way you felt about me, I had embraced it...even if that period of time was this short. I realize this situation makes it rather unacceptable to be mad at you but I am mad at you! You knew the last time we spoke and didn't feel the need to share...forget unwanted pity, forget sympathetic reciprocal of love, forget all that...I still deserved to know!

So I finally picked up and the gentleman tells me I'll never see your face again...I'll never see your smile again...I'll never feel the pat on my head that was clearly your trademark. He tells me you suffered no pain...He tells me how as the days drew near, you spoke to him about me. He tells me how much love he saw in your face despite the battle you faced. He tells me till the end you were strong...He tells me you left me a note:
My xxxx,
I feel the wind of my time
As it blows each night before I sleep, I pray I'll awake one last time to your voice
Today I write this because the wind has become heavier and I can't guarantee tomorrow
Tomorrow. How I could have sworn if I held on I'd spend it with you.
I leave content that I was able to share with you my most intimate thoughts
I leave content that the last I remember of you was the smile you brought upon my face
I leave knowing that even though I didn't get my desire, I got something worth more.
My dear, it's time you opened your heart to the world to see the true person you are. Yesterday is gone. Embrace today and prepare for tomorrow.
Your constant attempt at portraying a hard, unlovable, complex man is a smoke screen that many can easily pierce through.
Love and be willing to be hurt for I have loved you and I have experienced hurt. I may not have been what you desire but learn to give people a chance before you make that call.
Make friends and be friendly, for even the great men you strive to be are great because of the friends they have. Their stories are told because of the friends they have.
I know you will hit the roof when you hear of my passing but I am sure you will remember what I told you the last time we spoke. "Even in absence, love never ceases".
I know you were never big on good byes but hopefully now you'll understand why my good bye was appropriate.
This moment dictates I say goodbye.
Good bye xxxx


8 Comments:

  • At 2:08 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    woah! thats really deep, i dont know what to say. I hope you're ok Miggie.
    zioner

     
  • At 3:05 PM , Blogger Mineexclusively said...

    Same here. Don't know what to say. What do you tell someone that just lost someone?

     
  • At 9:51 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    In death, there is certainly the very real pain and sorrow of physical separation. But it is equally true that our loved ones remain with us. They do not just go off to some dark and distant place. They simply continue into eternal life. We do not see them because we are still in the darkness of this world. But their spiritual eyes, filled with the light of heaven, are always watching us as they wait for the day when we shall share their perfect joy. We are born for heaven and we end this life of tears to begin our life of endless happiness

    May you find comfort at this time.
    Always,
    AJ

     
  • At 2:13 PM , Blogger Orientatednaijababe said...

    I have been reading ur blog but never leave comments....I found this post too touching, and could not just pass by.

    May her soul rest in perfect peace.

    May the Lord comfort her friends and family at this time.

     
  • At 9:51 PM , Blogger kuesooM said...

    My heart goes out to you. Cherish the friendship that you had, and hold it dearly.

    I pray that God will grant you comfort and peace

    Please do take it easy!

     
  • At 3:33 AM , Blogger Jennifer A. said...

    Writing abt this is the beginning of healing. Miguel, I'm so sorry abt ur loss. I don't even know what to say.

    The note she left u is so touching. May you be healed from the inside, and may this radiate towards the outside. Something in the note really touched me: "even in absence, love never ceases."

     
  • At 9:47 AM , Blogger The Life of a Stranger called me said...

    Sighing with a heavy heart. Really don't have the words to say, but only that she cared too much not to leave a note. To let you know that even in death and after, she still loved you.

    How are you my good man?

     
  • At 10:34 AM , Blogger Thirty + said...

    Deepest Sympathies

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home